Project Management in GIS – Part I

Its been long time I am writing a post. These days very busy with projects and personal issues too. I’m back now.  There are lot of technical articles in my blog but nothing specific to project management.  Hence, I’m thinking to write about series of posts on Project Management in GIS.

The purpose of this post is how GIS projects are executed in IT company in a nutshell along with the basic tips and guidance on software development life-cyle.  Project refers here is only “Application development” .

I’m planning to cover the below topics –

1. How projects are obtained?

2. Basics of Project Management

3. Software Development Life Cycle in detail

  1. How projects are obtained?

For BIG Projects :-

Every IT company has pre-sales/business team  who exclusively working on getting the business.   When a potential client advertises for their project requirement through RFP (Request For Proposal).  This can be done by  several exclusive web sites where client place their advertisements.  There will be ‘n’ number of conditions laid by the client as part of the request. All the companies who has the met the conditions and competency and having enough experience will respond to the proposal with high level solution,  cost for execution of project (requirements given in advt)  and duration. Internally these RFP’s will be well analysed by technical team for the requirements and financial team and finally submitted .  Client will analyse proposals from all the bidders based on experience , size of company, reputation and previous experience on executing similar projects and other factors . Finally project will be awarded to any specific vendor.

In case of existing client

If the client has already engaged with vendor and they have some requirements/projects then methodology differs slightly. Client will provide set of high level requirements and ask for estimate . Vendor will prepare SOW (Statement of Work) or Work order briefing the scope of the software/product along with time line ,cost , resource and execution model. These estimates are ball-park or p80 estimate. i.e.  requirements are at high level hence projects are estimated are only 80% and remaining 20% may vary.

In general, there are two types of project execution – 1) Time and Material(T&M)  2) Fixed Price Project (FP)

T&M – These type of project is primarily for big projects or the project itself carries over into couple of phases or maintenance project.  Client is billed for actual working hours.

FP– These type of project is suitable for small projects with well defined scope or any tight dead-line projects. Here, client wants product to be delivered in a given time for set of requirements.  If there is any delay, then it attracts suitable penalty. Normally, vendors will be very selective for FP projects being risky when it is not handled properly.

Once the project was awarded, then project will be given to Delivery team.  Let us see how the projects are kicked off in next post.

Note:  Kindly provide your comments on this topic

Advertisements

Tags: , ,

2 Responses to “Project Management in GIS – Part I”

  1. Project Management in GIS – Part II « Says:

    […] « Project Management in GIS – Part I […]

  2. Project Management in GIS – Part IIIa « Says:

    […] continuation with Project Management in GIS Part I and Part II.  This posts talks about Software Development Life Cycle in short SDLC.  The project […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: