Google launched its mobile SDK – Andriod 1.0 recently. Those who dont know about Android here is simple definition. “Android is a software stack for mobile devices that includes an operating system, middleware and key applications. This beta version of the Android SDK provides the tools and APIs necessary to begin developing applications on the Android platform using the Java programming language.”.
Many of the experts predicts that Andriod will pose big challenge to Microsoft Windows Mobile and Apple Iphone Mac X. Thought at the moment, it supports Java as their programming language in future new SDK may support C/C++ . Here are Andriod features
- Application framework enabling reuse and replacement of components
- Dalvik virtual machine optimized for mobile devices
- Integrated browser based on the open source WebKit engine
- Optimized graphics powered by a custom 2D graphics library; 3D graphics based on the OpenGL ES 1.0 specification (hardware acceleration optional)
- SQLite for structured data storage
- Media support for common audio, video, and still image formats (MPEG4, H.264, MP3, AAC, AMR, JPG, PNG, GIF)
- GSM Telephony (hardware dependent)
- Bluetooth, EDGE, 3G, and WiFi (hardware dependent)
- Camera, GPS, compass, and accelerometer (hardware dependent)
- Rich development environment including a device emulator, tools for debugging, memory and performance profiling, and a plugin for the Eclipse IDE
Interesting part is applications developed using Android code challenge contest (0.9 v). You can find list of entires in the link http://code.google.com/android/adc_gallery/
There are many wonderful applications developed; almost many applications developed for location based servone amongst all which I liked most is BreadCrumbz. This is different kind of navigation application which uses pictures for their navigation. For more detail visit http://www.bcrumbz.com/.
In present day context everything becomes mobile; advantage of mobility becomes important factor in any decision. Even in GIS context, mobility plays a vital role when the technology stack grows up. How the information is shared becomes crucial and important, where SDK’s like Android will be occupy major share.