There are some active discussion going on some of social network sites on SAP-GIS Integration. I am also one who look for some specific information on integration of these two systems. I have searched continously and got some information which are useful for someone like me. The GIS group in Larsen and Toubro (LNT) Infotech, Mumbai and TCS working on this integration. You can download their paper (won prize in ESRI) titled “DEVELOPMENT OF GIS-SAP INTERFACE FOR VALIDATION OF GEO-CODED ADDRESS” explains about application developed for electric utility company. “The GIS application was developed as a multi-threaded component implemented in the COM Model. The Arcobjects toolkit from ESRI forms the core of the component. SAP’s COM4ABAP software has been used as the middleware”. This is one example. ESRI has provided some docs on integration. Here is list of some documents/paper for getting started.
1. GIS Best Practices : Using GIS and SAP , June 2007, ESRI
2. Technology Update : ESRI Internation User Conf 2005, ESRI SAP User group meeting
3. SAP/GIS Integration: Observation and practices by Stever Burner of ESRI
4. SAP Netweaver: ESRI-SAP competency centre, Europe (Good Document)
5. SAP Exchange Infrastructure (XI) by Carsten Pipel (Good document)
6. SAP Business data visualization with Map Objects (Year, 1999: Outdated one)
7. GIS and beyond Looking to SAP through the Ge0-Window: Belgian water Utility, Pidpa
8 . Tacoma Economic Development: GIS Diversity, Address and 3D visualization (2004 paper)
9. MDM for SAP-GIS Integration: from SAP Labs (Good doc)
10. Map4SAP: An ArcGIS Solution for SAP : Peter Wikinson , ESRI (UC 2007)
11. Mapping Data in SAP-Business Ware House: Mark T.Schnur, M.S.
12. Mapping SAP-BW Data
and many more documents available in internet for further reading.
In general, SAP systems are very costly and resources are also scarce. Most of pure GIS companies in India are medium level companies hence affordablity to SAP system is void. Big gaints can make use of GIS (Mapping) potentials to their existing system(SAP).Most of integration has been taken place with respect to ESRI Products. Open source GIS integration with SAP is also another viable option.
Any comments/suggestions are welcome!.