I’m happy to let you know that my interview/chat has been published in Geohpister.com.
Thanks to Bill Dollins.
I’m happy to let you know that my interview/chat has been published in Geohpister.com.
Thanks to Bill Dollins.
Hope everyone doing good.
One of the top IT MNC company looking for strong GIS developers – Mid level (3 to 5 years) and senior developer (5-10 years) positon.
Position at Bangalore, India. I am looking for profiles which has strong application development experience only.
Please send your resumes to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
ESRI provides free web based training on Getting started with GIS
If you are curious about what the acronym “GIS” stands for and what a GIS actually is, this course provides the answers. You will be introduced to the basic components of a GIS and some fundamental concepts that underlie the use of a GIS. As you practice working with GIS maps and geographic data, you will learn how a GIS helps people visualize and create information that can be used to make decisions and solve problems.
Andhra Pradesh State Remote Sensing Applications Centre (APSRAC) has more than 400 openings. MANPOWER REQUIREMENT ON CONTRACTUAL ASSINGNMENT OR ON DEPUTATION FOR A PERIOD OF 3 – 5 YEARS. Please click here for more details http://apsrac.ap.gov.in/Recruitment/Notificationscsd.html
Last Date: Jan 04,2013
All the best
I wish you a very Happy and prosperous New year 2013 to you and your family.
“If you want something in your life you’ve never had, you will have to do something, you have never done”. – JD Houston
Wish you all very Happy GIS day…!!!!
Today November 14 has been celebrated as GIS DAY, the annual salute to geospatial technology and its power to transform and better our lives. I wish all my fellow colleagues and all others who work in geospatial technology a very happy day.
I have been facing one of the error in our sliverlight application (using ESRI 2.4 API) which calls our custom geoprocessing (using ArcGIS 10 SP4) tasks to execute huge huge process which last for more than 10 min (avg), but before that client gets timed out. This is very much annoying and lot of users complained about this. In Fiddler we are getting timeout exception in stack trace.
Server Error in ‘/ArcGIS/rest’ Application.
Request timed out. Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.
Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Request timed out.
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.
[HttpException (0x80004005): Request timed out.]
After going through all ESRI/Microsoft forums. I have increased a) Increased executiontime out value in web.config b) Increased GP Tool client timeout values , but nothing worked and application fails with same mesage. The REST tool is working fine when this executed from browser and URL is available and correct. This is an POST request FYI.
We have trying a lot on this but did not get any clue. After lot of research, we have checked restlog.txt (under C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ArcGIS\rest) folder and found below log message
Log Entry : 11/8/2012 6:06:40 AM
ERROR:Thread was being aborted. :: at ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.GPServer.SubmitGPTaskJsonFormatter.Init()
at ESRI.ArcGIS.REST.RestHttpHandler.System.Web.IHttpHandler.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
so we narrowed down that this request sent to server was aborted after some time because of some reasons. We have checked all time out property in IIS/ASP.NET but could not succeed. This becomes complex now. This entire effort consumed lot of effort because custom tool will run for 30 min and then it will fail, so we need lot of time to change one parameter and test from the client application. We kept on trying on this.
The process got terminated so that it couldn’t do logging in ArcGIS Server level so that exception didn’t happen inside of the service call handling. This means that the query handling thread got terminated from ASP.NET / IIS level. We have got some clue from ESRI Forum as well.
We have added <httpRuntime executionTimeout=”7200″/> in Web.config file under C:\inetpub\wwwroot\ArcGIS\rest folder and our issues are resolved. This value extended the execution time out and process ran smoothly and client application displayed the results as well.
Finally we learnt from this link “Since ASP.NET timeout is internally implemented so that the check fires in every 15 seconds. When using the default value, the ASP.NET aborts the query thread in 110 – 125 seconds”
Thanks to ESRI Forum and Antti Kajanus . Issue has been resolved successfully.
I believe ESRI will provide detailed stack trace on their REST API calls, I assume this was in their list.
Finally – Wish you a All very Happy Diwali!!!!
Please write your feedback/comments/suggestions to my email email@example.com
Finally after a long wait, ESRI sliverlight 3.0 has been released. I am very much looking for this mainly for one reason i.e support for Microsoft Sliverlight 5.0. Most of our client groups have updated with Microsoft Sliverlight 5.0 but our application supports only version 4.0 hence waiting for this release.
There are many features available in latest version, but feature which really impressed me and which I am looking for is below
1. Support for datum transformation for handling projection system changes from client
2. Support for geometry with Z and M values by which order of rings in polygons can be identified.
3. Enhance query options with order by results and generate statistics
4. Beautiful print task , which has been waiting for a long time. Excellent ESRI.
5. Ablity to change layer rendering /order or add layers on fly in map services are the excellent.
Please click here to read full updates and enhancements.
Really excited to work with the latest API and upgrade our applications.
I am getting lot of emails about ESRI web API concepts/basics and how to use them, how it differs from other API’s comparisons etc… Many students asking me for training materials and tutorials/getting started materials. I always suggest to go through ESRI virtual campus class. Here is list of FREE training course videos list with short description.
1. Getting started with ArcObjects – This is one of basic Arcobjects training material by Rob Burke.
2. Getting Started with GIS (for ArcGIS 10) – What is GIS, how it is used, view data on the map etc using ArcMap and tools. This is 9 hour course which is useful for the students/trainer and those who begin their career with GIS using ESRI products
3. GIS for Managers . This is interesting one for managers and executives to know about GIS and its capabilities. What is GIS, how it helps in real-world scenario, what are productivity benefits etc. Basic introduction and concepts helpful to know managers/associates who deals with GIS for first time.
4. Introduction to ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight – The ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight is a ready-to-deploy, configurable client application . Recent days most of the people started using the viewer product. This is FREE.It is an ideal solution for novice users who want to create web mapping applications. This is ideal for quick demo to for the customer with rich set of tools.
5. Introduction to the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex . This ArcGIS viewer in flex platform. It is Esri’s solution to easily and quickly create customized GIS-enabled Web mapping applications—without requiring programming. Flex platform really growing strong. The rich user interface helps to build fantastic user experience. This is also ideal for quick demo for the customers.
6. Getting Started with ArcGIS API for Microsoft Silverlight/WPF . This is right place to getting started with sliverlight API. You can also go through Web API helps and samples. This is useful for developers.
7.Building Rich Internet Applications with ArcGIS API for Flex . This is right place for getting started with Flex API. The seminar is designed for Web developers who would like to create rich, interactive applications using ArcGIS Server services and the ArcGIS API for Flex.
8. Embedding ArcGIS into SharePoint . These share point creates a lot of interests. There is huge potential and demand for GIS based share point portal application. This course is for SharePoint users who are interested in providing map-based visualization in a collaborative environment.
8. Introduction to ArcGIS for Developers This seminar provides an overview of the developer resources and opportunities available through the ESRI Developer Network. This seminar is suited for those interested in developer opportunities using ArcGIS.
9.Developing Add-ins for ArcGIS Desktop 10 The ArcGIS Desktop 10 add-in model provides you with a method to easily extend the ArcGIS Desktop user interface and application capabilities. This is helpful to develop a custom tool on top of the ArcGIS (ArcMap). Useful to GIS analysts, professionals, and developers who want to learn how to create or share ArcGIS Desktop add-ins.
10. Basics of Geographic Coordinate Systems (for ArcGIS 10). Most asked tutorial from everyone. Understanding the basics of coordinate system. This seminar talks about only geographic coordinate system, still useful to learn the basics.
ESRI TechnicalCertification samples
Please write me for any questions/clarifications. Hope this helps lot.
If you have been working with Crystal Reports and I could bet at least once you might faced the issue “Bobj” is undefined . This is most common error in using crystal reports. Recently I have faced this issue when I try to solve another technical issue on the crystal report.
At least from my experience and users experience in internet, “bobj” is one of well-known problem with CR. Crystal reports products naming convention is another pain. It is bit difficult to understand the CR products and features from their naming . Lets not worry about that now. Coming to the issue in hand, I am using Visual studio 2010, IIS7.0, Windows 2008 server and CR2008. I want to upgrade CR 2008 with latest SP5. So I have uninstalled the setup and rebooted the server and again installed the fresh version of SP5 full download. Here is link for all downloads of CR.
After un-installation of previous version, I forgot to delete all the CR folders , which caused lot of headache and I ran to “Bobj’ undefined issue and some of the folders are not accessible etc. So finally cleaned up again and deleted all the left over folders and rebooted. Installed SP5 again. The reports started working fine in the deployed link. I mean we have web application which is published in the machine and reports are working. Here I have faced one more issue, though not sure about the cause, when I generate a report, I got an error message “Unable to connect to Database…” ORA code ( I forgot the exact code) . In the .rpt files, I have used many database connections which is the concern. I have deleted all the unwanted connnections and reports are working fine from the same machine.
Now, real challenge started for me, when the application is accessed from outside, reports are showing “BobJ” is undefined error. I could not figure out the reason for this. I was under assumption that if reports accessed from IIS then it accessed from everywhere in the same network. But it was not the case. In order find the issue, I have gone through some of the forums .. here is main link . This really helped me in fixing the issue. This blog post is extensive enough to help to fix the issue. Let me write a solution which worked for my case.
Issue: Missing “crystalreportviewers12” folder in the C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319.
Fix : Copy the entire ‘crystalreportviewers12’ from crystal report installed path. “D:\Program Files\Common\4.0” to C:\inetpub\..
This is helps in resolving the issue of accessing the crystal reports from the web application outside the network.
Quick check list for this issue:
1. Check CR is installed correctly. Delete all CR folders after un-installation. Especially under IIS. (C:\inetpub\wwwroot)
2. Install complete version of CR’s.
3. Check whether CR web site is created under IIS.
4. Check for missing folder C:\inetpub\wwwroot\aspnet_client\system_web\4_0_30319
5. Under Application Pools – Enable 32 Bit applications to TRUE (if it is integrated mode)
Choosing right product is important SDK is very important for crystal reports. Here is link for choosing SDK.
Hope this information really helps to users on this specific case.